In our second class the German group pointed out that the country that spends the biggest part of its GDP for Environmental Protection is Austria. Consequently, I was curious to find out what Germany’s “little brother” has up on its sleeve.
I hit on ThermoProfit, a quite innovative approach to implement energy saving technologies.
ThermoProfit was first conceived as part of the Municipal Energy Concept in Graz, Austria. It was developed in a collaborative approach with participating representatives from utilities, local authorities, companies, NGOs, etc.
Aim of the Thermoprofit impulse programme is to disseminate service packages like Energy Performance Contracting via Third Party Financing. This leads to a saving of energy costs, a reduction in energy consumption and environmental pollution, and a stimulation of the regional economy.
The essential characteristics of Thermoprofit are:
• reduction of energy used in buildings
• economic advantages for owners and users of buildings
• direct or indirect reduction in pollutants and CO2 emissions
• planning and implementation carried out by a Thermoprofit partner
• Thermoprofit guarantees that energy costs will stay below a defined limit.
Go ahead to find out the concept’s principle and how it can be advantageous for all who participate in it.
The project principle is very simple:
• The energy supplier finances energy related optimisation for buildings on the basis of a comprehensive analysis of
needs for modernisation as well as energy and costs savings as the result of the optimisation.
• The local handicraft companies are carrying out the work.
• The owner of the buildings and the energy supplier are linked via a contracting model that provides a Return on
Invest for the energy supplier. After optimisation, the owner pays the same energy costs for a certain period of
time to pay back the investments to the energy supplier.
go and look at the chart to get a better idea of how it works: Download file
Advantages for energy supplier:
• Close customer relationship via long-term contracting
• Positive image “Corporate Social and Environmental Responsibility” by playing a leading role in regional economic development (economic benefits for handicraft companies)
Advantages for owner:
• Modernisation & optimisation without additional costs
• Appreciation of buildings
Advantages for user:
• No additional costs
• More convenience
Advantages for local handicraft:
• Vitalization of economic activities
• Gaining expertise in energy optimisation measures